Fun in the SUN

Fun in the SUN

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Pool Side Fashion

I personally have never been one to enjoy a trip out to look for bathing suits; they are usually full of awkward moments, laughing, and sometimes a grimace or two. I have never loved the trying on process; although I have approximately 8 suits that is not my point! (A girl needs options!) My point is, trying them on is not very fun. It could be because I have a very haunting memory of bathing suit shopping with my parents when I was 16. I was on the hunt for a one piece bathing suit, for a specific occasion, and after about 6 stores and no one being able to breathe from laughter I settled on a very hideous maroon floral print. (It turns out my waist may have been longer than the average girl my age, not good.)
I know right now my mother is giggling with memories of this day, and maybe she is elaborating to those around her on how bad this experience really was, but I am going to leave you with…it just wasn’t good. For a 16 year old, when almost everything is embarrassing and awkward I know I hoped that bathing suit shopping was something that would get better as I got older. I was wrong!
            Since this memorable day, I have had many more equally mortifying bathing suit experiences. It may be that no matter whom you are, you’re going to be not 100% comfortable with shopping for something you know you have to wear in public that is the equivalent of what you normally wear with a full outfit on top! So, here we are in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia…fashion capital extraordinaire, and I have decided to do a little research on the topic! What is in style for the skin bearing season of 2011? How can we stay in fashion pool side?
            Well, this is what I found out from the so called “fashion experts”. This summer season is all about color, or lack there of; Nude, khaki, white, beige, taupe, and black with small splashes of teal and aqua (for the adventurous only). Sounds exciting I know, mind you maybe they are on to something…black tends to be one of the most flattering options for the rest of your wardrobe!
            If you are going to branch out and get a print on your new suit, apparently the acceptable options include a nice light floral bohemian print, paisley, or anything “earthy”. If you want to have your suit compete with the “Jones” suit, look for wooden accents, and fringe…Oh ya! Fringe! All fashion forward suits include  fringe.
            If you are uncomfortable strutting around in something with no more coverage than your undergarments offer invest in a cute wrap or cover up! Also, get a big floppy hat and some abnormally large shades and go out incognito, in true celebrity style.
            My advice…maybe skip the hot trends of 2011 and go with a well fitted, well structured suit with a generous side of SPF60.

Just don’t forget the fringe!

-Liana vandenHof-Rhodenizer

2 comments:

  1. Yes your mom has already told me about your bathing suit shopping experience as she was reading this so you were right! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog did make me laugh, it also brought back fond memories of the two of us laughing at the site of a tall, lean 16 year old girl in your first and only full piece bathing suit!
    I still have that suit in my closet today!

    ReplyDelete