Fun in the SUN

Fun in the SUN

Saturday 9 July 2011

Keeping Active!!

All of those with children that are now spending their days home from school are well aware of the bored look that comes across their children’s faces in those summer months! Even though it seems there is so much more to do in the summer with the nice weather that has finally arrived, those dreary faces still appear. It amazes me that no matter how many activities you have planned for the day, or whether or not you have gone on a fun outing for the afternoon the second you come in the door there it is, “what can I do Mom?” Finally, I understand Mom the annoyance you endured! My little one is pretty good at entertaining herself mind you, but you must first come up with the idea, and she very well may not pick your first option for entertainment!

So her weekly day at Nan and Papa’s rolls around and instead of the look of boredom they receive the puppy dog face and a polite plea on who will watch her in the pool!

I have recently seen a commercial on TV reminding parents that their children need 60 minutes of physical activity a day! Even though this is information I have always known, I feel like I considered all of the running, jumping and scurrying around to be added up to equal 60 minutes. Now that my little one is getting older, I thought deeper about the concept of a more organized activity being more appropriate during the day.

 I am the type of mom who will eagerly sit down and paint, draw, play with play dough and other various crafts, but I am not always the first one to jump up and encourage throwing or kicking a ball around the yard. (Most likely because this would require coordination that I have yet to develop!) So, there must be activities I can supervise, participate in and encourage…I have come up with a limited list: Walking, skipping rope (which surprisingly enough I can do), Frisbee, and swimming! Slim pickings I realize, so it looks like we will be making more than a weekly trip to the pool!

How are you keeping your kids active this summer??

FYI….Winter is all on you Dad! J I will have hot chocolate ready when you come in from the cold!

-Talk soon everyone!
Liana vandenHof-Rhodenizer

No comments:

Post a Comment