Fun in the SUN

Fun in the SUN

Monday 5 December 2011

Tis the Season! What is your Christmas Tradition?

Ah! This is my favorite time of year! Everywhere you go there are trees decorated, wreaths hanging, and of course - Christmas music! There are so many things you can count on seeing, hearing, and smelling this time of year.

Now, if I had my way I would start listening to Christmas music at the end of November, but if I did that I would probably drive my wonderful husband absolutely crazy and we can’t have that. What a lucky man he was to marry the biggest Christmas freak in the world! So I thought it would be neat to ask some of the staff what their Christmas traditions were and post their answers. So grab your cocoa, put your snuggie on, and enjoy!

Brad –
“A great memory for me is reading “Twas the Night before Christmas” to my children on Christmas Eve. It started with one child and grew to four wanting to sit on my lap before excitedly heading off to bed in anticipation of Santa’s arrival a few hours later. This tradition has changed as my kids, now in their teens no longer want to sit or can fit for that matter on their dad’s lap. But every year we still get a photo of our entire family of six by the tree with our storybook so we can have that memory and picture to reflect on in the years to come.”

Jenn –
Jenn, our Store Manager, loves Baileys at Christmas! Her new husband Dohn (that’s right, she is now an old married woman) makes mulled wine and loves the Boney M Christmas album, which gets played at her house quite a bit. I had never heard of this group but Jenn gave us a preview of one of the songs and it seems like it would be glorious to listen to. The other thing that Jenn looks forward to is her Mom’s Christmas Quiche! Yum!

Katie –
“One of my favorite Christmas family traditions is coming home after Christmas Eve supper at my Grandparents and watching “It’s a Wonderful Life” with my Mom. It is her favorite Christmas movie and it has definitely become one of mine! It just doesn’t feel like Christmas without it!”

Cathy –
“Last year my husband and I hosted a Christmas Eve party for our families. I made seafood chowder and we had other snacks, beverages, and treats. We video-skyped my sister who could not be home for the holidays; this was a real treat for my parents and Grandmother who do not use the internet and had not seen her for some time. It was so nice to get together to eat, drink, laugh, and sort of take a deep breath before the big day. I think we will do it again this year!”

 Angela –
“Every year my Mother has a Christmas Eve Party for all of my family and friends. We drink cherry brandy annually without fail. We include this bevvie in all the adult stockings, and mom sets out a buffet of homemade treats! This year my hubby and I are starting our own traditions. We will be putting up our first tree in our new home and with my plea for an artificial tree being overruled, he suggested we make a Sunday out of getting our real one. We are going to pick out our real tree and decorate it while drinking copious amounts of Baileys and watching our favorite Christmas movies. My favorite movie is the Jim Carey version of the Grinch who Stole Christmas followed by the original, and my husband’s favorite movie is Home Alone. Also, we are going shopping together to buy each other presents. We are both really picky so this will save on some of the holiday stress, but we are filling each other’s stockings this year without the other’s help to open on Christmas Day with our Baileys.

Megan –
As for me I have a few traditions that I hold very dear to my heart. Every year on the Saturday before Christmas, my father’s side of the family has the annual Family Christmas Party. This has been a tradition in my family since before I was born and ever since I was a small child I remember how exciting it was to have all the family together and play with my big kid cousins. This tradition has changed since we have all grown up and some have families of their own. The real blessing is seeing the excitement in the next generation as they open presents, stay up too late, and eat too many sweets. As a child every Christmas Eve was as anticipated as Christmas Day itself. We would go shopping, even if we didn’t need anything, because we just loved watching the people buying last minute gifts! Also, every year on the way home from church we would drive around and look at Christmas lights. Now that I am an adult and married my husband and I are in the process of creating our own traditions. Every year on Christmas Day we read the Christmas Story from the Bible and reflect on how blessed we have been during the year and ponder what the coming year will bring for us.

To all our families, friends, customers and their families, we hope this Christmas is full of special moments and warm memories.

-Megan, and the rest of the staff at Holland Home Leisure

No comments:

Post a Comment