Fun in the SUN

Fun in the SUN

Monday 31 October 2011

Little fish...Big Pond!

I have written about 10 versions of what I want to say to you all today about HHL’s debut into fundraising. Frankly, I think I have writers block!


My mother recently wrote about following in her families footsteps and giving back to the community. How the values her parents taught her, help her to have focus and drive in giving back to those in need. I agree (thanks for stealing my idea Mom), but watching your parents work full time, and always be volunteering for something or someone make you feel as though you too can accomplish that as well, and make a difference.

Whether you are a fellow BioGuard Dealer who are part of the Splash for CF Challange, a small business or someone who just needs a push, my hope for you is that Holland Home Leisure somehow inspired you this summer/fall season to see that little fish can change the big pond.

All summer, I am sure each one of my fellow staff members including myself, had a moment when they looked around at their peers and were proud. on a Sunday morning setting up for a yard sale, showing off baked goods and being dunked in a freezing tank all for an amazing cause and nothing else. How can you not be just a little bit proud to call these people your fellow employees and friends? I think this adventure has been a wonderful team building experience, as well as the opportunity to support an amazing cause.

No Time? Yes, most people feel they don’t have time! Fundraising is on top of your normal daily duties, tends to overlap into your free time and just takes energy sometimes you don’t have. I feel like after each event we did, we became more determined and more energetic to succeed at the next event. So, as much as we all enjoyed giving back, we all got a little out of the desire to do a bigger and better job next time.

The auction I feel was an example of this determination to take it one step further. We started out behind schedule, overwhelmed by details and without any prior practice, stressful yes, but an opportunity to learn! As a team…we did it! (I want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who participated, bought tickets, bid on items and especially to Drew Rudderham of Acton’s and Pamela Barnes of CF Canada’s NS Chapter.)

I am not only proud to be apart of the $11,000 earned for Cystic Fibrosis this year, which still blows my mind, but I am so thrilled to of been given the opportunity to show what can be accomplished with a little bit of effort, a little bit of heart, and a lot of determination, and to hopefully encourage someone out there to do the same!


Thank you to all of those who took this journey with us, all of those who supported each and every event. A special thank you to Cystic Fibrosis Canada who helped in so many ways to keep us on track and BioGuard who encouraged and planted the seed!

“You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result”
Mahatma Gandhi


-Until Next Time

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!
Liana Rhodenizer

No comments:

Post a Comment