Fun in the SUN

Fun in the SUN

Saturday 29 October 2011

Setting an example!

While Thanksgiving has come and gone each of us know it is never too late to give thanks, besides, I feel it is my turn to write a blog and I am feeling thankful!

Two days ago Holland Home Leisure had the privilege along with Drew Rudderham of Acton’s in Wolfville in hosting an amazing dinner and auction in support of Cystic Fibrosis.

The success of the evening can be attributed to the wonderful support of local business as well as many individuals who purchased tickets and bid so generously on the items that were up for auction. The generosity of local companies and private individuals make me thank full to call Nova Scotia my home. 
While our family has been fortunate enough not to have a member touched by this disease, our heart goes out to others. CF was introduced to the staff of Holland Home Leisure this past winter in Toronto while on a chemical training course. Collectively we agreed to embrace this cause and shortly after began our fundraising.
One of the things I am most thankful for is being raised by parents who understand the value of giving back to the community. My parents raised a large family on very little money while teaching each of us the value of helping out where, and however you can. Sometimes when we watch program’s on TV we are deceived into believing that only the rich and famous can raise money for charity.  I am happy to say our dinner and auction raised a total of $7000! WOW!

On April 6th 2010 I had the privilege of attending a presentation at the Kentville Municipal building to witness my Mom, Barbara Meisner be presented with a plaque in honor of her volunteerism with the Jolly workers in her community. For as long as I can remember Mom was either on the phone organizing a dinner or tea at the local community hall or she was baking for a function.  There are hundreds of these small communities where men and women work tirelessly to help others.

On Thursday evening Mike and I had the privilege of being involved with the Cystic Fibrosis dinner and auction. The bulk of the organizing of this event was done by our daughter Liana and while it was her first major fundraiser she proved to have inherited her Grandmothers talent.  
I hope some day our children will also have the privilege of watching their children contribute to the community they live in.
Thanks Mom for setting a great example!

-Debby vandenHof

No comments:

Post a Comment